Tips for Sellers
Presenting your property for sale
There's an old saying - 'first impressions last' - and
nothing could be truer when it comes to presenting your
property for sale. That means a tidy and presentable interior
and exterior, as many people will drive-by before deciding
whether to inspect your property on open days.
Your property is usually just one in a very long list of
properties a buyer will see, so it's crucial that they see
it in the best possible light. The more desirable your property
appears, the better your sale price is likely to be.
Clean, tidy and well-maintained
These are the three key presentation factors that will
show your property at its best:
- Give the property a good clean, inside and out, to
make it appear more liveable.
- Clear away any clutter that has accumulated in living
spaces to show off the spaces better.
- Just like a used car, a property that appears well-cared
for is more valuable than one that has been run down.
It's worth getting any small items fixed before sale.
- Pavement appeal: Make sure the front of your property
looks appealing and inviting with a weed-free garden and
some attractive pot plants.
- Clean and bright: Before every viewing give your property
a once over, ensuring that windows are clean inside and
out - it's surprising how much difference it makes to
- Cut the clutter: You want the prospective buyer to be
able to imagine their own belongings in the property,
so de-clutter to keep things tidy. Less clutter will also
help make rooms appear larger.
- Set the scene: You may want to hire furniture to create
the look you desire. This is a great way to transform
your home and give it extra appeal.
- Fix it: From leaking taps to a broken bulb, make sure
the minor repairs are taken care of. A lick of paint will
freshen scuffs and scrapes in the woodwork. Basic maintenance
work will help to ensure buyers don't find any faults.
- Freshen up: Get rid of smoke or pet odours. Open the
windows, brew some fresh coffee, and brighten the place
up with fresh flowers.
- Lighten up: Increase the sense of space with mirrors
and lights and leave all internal doors open.
- Pets: Always clean and tidy up after your pets and take
them out of the property during open times.
- Warmth: Create warmth by preparing your home to suit
the temperature of the day. If it's cold, light fires,
turn on patio heaters and heating. If it's hot, turn on
fans and cooling systems.
See our Useful Links page
for more information on selling residential property in